The Mirror of Erised

One of the topics for a poetry competition

I’m afraid to look
For fear of what I’ll see
I’m afraid of my love for you
I am found in you
We have the same face
I see struggle
But I hear only silence
Our eyes they’ve dimmed, haven’t they?
I’m scared to look
But oh please help me try Lord
This is what I want for me

There you are
It’s like you see me
But you don’t see me at all
I love you
I see you whole
We are not broken
Just longingly looking into each other eyes
Because we can’t find the courage to do so in person
We are finally facing each other
Standing up for each other
We’re reaching out
But we are hypocrites
Unreal
Waiting for a return
Standing face to face
When we can’t even
See past our pride
Our shame
That’s holding us back from each other
Your hurt is your own
And my hurt mine
And perhaps that’s all I want
Regardless of whether
I’m in the wrong
For us to face each other again
Us to look into each other’s eyes
And know that we’re both sorry
For the in between
We’re held apart from wholeness
Like broken bits of glass
The hurt mirrored in our eyes
We finally see it
This hurt that we’ve never known
Because we’ve kept away
All I ever wanted
Was you to come to me
Did you expect me to?
Here I am
You’re here too
But no not at all
Where are you?
Can’t we go back to what we were?
Why did confrontation have to be my dream?
All it takes is one look at me
Can’t you see my heart for you
But you’re gone
All I see is a projection -
I wanted from you
What I wanted for myself
To approach you
To tell you how I love you still
How I’ve been hurt but I’ll love you still
I wanted to come to you
But I couldn’t
And now you’re gone
Please come back to me
Reach out further
Past the memories
We are unforgivingly real
I want to let you know I’m sorry
You saw right through me
Didn’t you
Like I didn’t exist
And all I want is
For our eyes to meet
And know that we’re both
Not worth
How we treat each other
Look me in my eyes

In this darkness
Our eyes are bright
Browned by
The light of only a setting sun
In our sky
Oh they’re shades of the same colour
I see ignorance
But I hear cries
Look at me
Look at me
Please stay

Comments

Popular Posts