One of Seven

If you really need an explanation 
Here’s what I still remember 
How I hung my head down in shame before you 
At the mercy of your emotions
You'd shift the blame 
As if you had nothing to do with anything
As if I was always the only one at fault 

You never stood up for me 
You turned me against - 
The only ones who really cared about me 
You spoke behind their back 
You spoke behind mine
All in the name of love? 
Are you happy now? 
Are you still madly in love? 
May you grow old and grey 
With the one that you love
Love her till the end 
Protect and respect her till the end 
But don’t forget the many like her
In this world 
Who deserve just as much -
Honour 
May we learn to honour 
The image of God all around us
Created after His likeness 
Created anew after His likeness 

I hate that my heart often softened 
At the thought of you 
I wanted to believe that you were true 
But all you spoke were lies 
Oh what a show 
The hero of your own story 

Will you swell with rage -
If I held you responsible for your actions? 
But that’s not my place 
You are His 
And He doesn’t condemn you 
So who am I to? 
You were always the first to defend yourself 

Oh the things that you did 
In your fear of the unknown 
Silently 
Oh how you thought of ending it all - 
If nothing goes your way 
Mere talk that only ended in poverty

But you’re still here 
Aren’t you? 

You 
are
still here. 

Look at how far you’ve come
Can we take a moment to appreciate
How far you've come

I won’t undermine your story 
You were growing 
You were being chipped of your comforts 
Did you discover 
That when you’re weak - 
He is strong? 

Father, give me the strength 
To stand 
If and when we are to cross paths when heaven and earth are one 
Because he is as much Yours 
As I am Yours 
We are both Your children 
We both profess of our faith in You 
Forgive us for misrepresenting You 
To the world 
May they only be led to You 
When they see how broken we are
May they only know that there’s a Saviour 
Who doesn’t look away from our brokenness 
One who loves us too much 
Than to leave us where we both are 
The world is to know that we are Yours 
By our love for each other 
But oh we’ve failed You, Lord
I have failed You, Lord 

The friends that we once were 
I chose to address you
Those years that I did 
By your birth name 
Not like the others would 
Not the one that you’d prefer 
And now when I read past your name 
In the story of the sent ones  
Who from among the growing family of God 
Chose seven men of good repute 
Full of the Spirit and of wisdom 
To appoint to the duty to serve 
When I read past your name 
It means nothing to me anymore 
And I suppose it never will 

(2022 edit)

Comments

Popular Posts