Home?

Where we’re sitting back in mismatched plastic chairs
And allowing the circulation
To dry our wet faces
While we’re trying to refuse the pull
To fill the silence with a song
Trying
To rest here 
 
And when you come asking
Repeatedly
Lovingly
As sweet as banana wine
“What’s wrong?”
“Are you okay?”
And you hold your face close to mine
And you smile telling me how I enquire the same
And you love me
With an affection
That fills my heart so quietly, it hurts 
 
Are we really home? 
 
I go away only to return
I don’t want to sit alone
I don’t want to drink alone
I can’t hold myself accountable
To the only priority
Of an unending social role
So complacent and despaired
So careless with my time
I choose company over priority
Yet again
I want to be where you are
And you ask me to move in close
To put my arm around you
As we watch our favourite sport together
You hold my hand
For a moment longer
And I take slow sips
I’m forgetting the hurt we caused each other
And I don’t want to leave your side 
 
If our love was once far away
How are we getting closer?
Tell me I’m safe
Tell me I’m safe here
At home with you
At peace with you
With you 
 
Resting my head on your shoulder
With tears in my eyes
Holding you
Holding glass
You are here
And so am I
Waiting, watching,
breaking 
 
Here’s where I choose
To wait
For those who are away
To return
I want to wait on them
So we can drink the cup
And share food
Together
Is it okay if I take my time?
Why is this taking me so much time? 
 
Can You have all of me?
When I’m sitting around doing nothing
Feasting quietly
Wearing sorrow and joy
Incapable of saying a single word
When there’s such important work to be done
Can You use me?
Can You still work with
My divided attention?
Is there hope for
My hopeless romanticism?
Tell me,
Am I still at home in You?
Are You with me here still?

Comments

Popular Posts