Proximity

Here’s to a life 
With no future
Here’s to a friendship with no future 
Let me question your intention 
Oh but I’m losing my mind as I do 
You are as unreal as I am 
Years built on impressed words 
The work of expression
The work of touch  
Saying things
We would never say to each other’s faces
Our form of speech poured forth 
Filling the distance between us 
A long enough distance 
And it continues to
And I don’t understand why 
It questions and interrogates
And complains and vents
This is precious to me 
I care for your opinions 
And I long to hear from you each time 
Where did this all begin
When did it all begin
You’ve moved on 
But why am I still here
Why do I keep waiting for you each time 
For you to tell me that I matter
That I’m worth spending screen time with?
That you can convey your deepest emotion 
Your deepest thoughts
And expect me to believe 
And expect me to trust 
That what we have is real
And that what we have is true
How is this the truth
This can’t be what it never could have been 
In real time, no
I gave you my heart but why did I?
Why was it my choosing?
What was I thinking?
What was I hoping to achieve?
A little love,
A little honour,
Validation?
But why? 
I don’t want to take it all back either 
I don’t want to give up any of it 
But this is a nightlong epiphany 
This is the truth 
I am nearsighted 
And maybe I’m no good for you 
And I will continue to conjure up dreams of meeting you again 
How will I be?
How would I act?
What will happen when our eyes meet 
After all these years 
Would we grant each other the privilege 
Of looking at each other 
With a grace that comes 
From knowing and learning and conversing for years on end -
From a distance? 
Would we grant each other the privilege 
Of looking into each other’s eyes 
With only honour 
And knowledge 
And respect for the years 
We’ve built 
On all these unspoken words 
While we were apart?
Can I answer this? 
No 
No, there is no future here 
Where is this that you're heading 
In which direction are you steering 
Here I am 
In the passenger seat 
Singing to fill the silence 
Stopping only to request you to
Please make a stop here 
Would you mind 
Let me out 
Please can I walk this road alone 
I don’t know where I’m going 
But neither do you 
So why even try?
Why even try to pretend
That what we have here 
All these words that we hold in our fingertips 
Are something important 
Something valuable 
That in all honesty
We can do away with 
I’m afraid I’ll fall back 
And search for you 
When I’m afraid and alone 
Are we really dependent 
On each other 
To make us feel good about ourselves? 
We’re as close as the time I left home 
Near but far 
Like a forgotten memory 
Is it possible to be in so much want?
Only Your Name can satisfy
All this longing in my heart 
Why do I keep chasing anyone and everyone but You 
Is it possible to be in so much want 
What about You?
You don’t need me either 
But You want me 
Why don’t I see it? 
Nearsighted 
Because I am nearsighted 
Why am I so desperate to get into all the details 
That are irrelevant to you 
Unrelated to you 
Did I hope for comfort 
What was I hoping for?
Understanding?
Or was I just being honest?
I don’t want you to ever see me like this 
In all my desperation and insecurity 
Why is it that I want to know 
All these things about you 
And tell you 
All these things about myself 
Pitiful 
Am I really 
So pitiful? 
I am embarrassed by my naïvety  
I will continue to 
Find answers to my own questions 
Will you offer me hospitality 
Will you treat me with enough 
Tolerance 
And grace 
Like your words promise me 
Words like built defences 
Like walls up against each other - 
In quiet compromising deceit 
Simply because we don’t have to really open our hearts 
Or our mouths 
Any more than we should 
Because we’re so far away 
So far apart 
Falling apart 
Am I really alone?
Why am I so comfortable with you 
When I don’t even trust you completely 
Do I feel better 
From keeping this up?
But why am I so unfailing 
If only I pursued His heart the same way 
If only I waited on His word 
If only I took the time
If only I took the interest 
The same way I reach out to you 
The same way I long to hear from you 
Tell me
Will you stand up for me 
Will you still love me 
When you see me in all my sin
In all my shame 
In all my inadequacy 
Could you have fallen in love 
With this idea of me?
Who am I in your head?
What do my unheard words say about me? 
How can you love me 
When you can’t see me 
Past the letters that I frame and edit and present  

There’s something they should know about me
I have a way with words 
But you already knew that 

Comments

Popular Posts