Innocence

(Written by Beulah Praisy V. and me. Her lines are in teal)

And you are to me 
A protecting hurt
Protecting me from what I’ll regret
On knowing
You are lost here in the unknown
How you’ve dearly protected me
But all that awaits us both
Is hurt

What is this love that we have?
Why are our feelings subject to irony and talk?
We’re so vulnerable
What is right?
What is wrong?

I’m a fool
An innocent fool
That stood by you
When everyone seemed to utter
What I thought was nowhere near true

They betrayed us – 
Oh innocence
This constant hurt
Stones my soul
Why do we care the way we do?
Is it a proof our love?
Will our hurt forever be hidden?

Our hurt is hidden
It was kept away from us 
For so long
Are we incapable of responding –
Soundly?
Are we that immature?
This hurt is pointing to my immaturity - 
Somehow I’m led to feel

Hidden are our tears
Always the last to know
I feel cheated
How about you?
Oh innocence

Oh innocence,
When we were so close,
I knew no pretence,
My cares were very few,
My days were peaceful;
Oh innocence 
You covered me so well
Only for time to steal you away
You delayed the hurt
But couldn’t take it away
Once gone, you never return
You left me feeling foolish and naïve 
Helpless and torn
Making it harder to face the reality

Were you really my shield? 
Should I regret that you had to leave - 
Or instead thank-you for staying this long?

I lose myself every time
I have to let go 
But promise me
Somehow I want you to leave me
And not care to show 
The slightest bit of affection
Not when I feel so cheated
I wish I wasn’t so blind 
I’m so tired
I’m hurt 
I care, I love
To only lose myself
In the unknown of
Fallen mental patterns
In the unknown of fallen tears
What ends do we meet
With feeling
And thinking
Endlessly
None at all
None at all

Comments

Popular Posts