These Are The Days

There is beauty here 
That fades into black 
In mere seconds 
Like silent fireworks 
At a distance
These are 
Unheard expectations 
Lift your head up to the deep darkness 
Come to the quiet ground of surrender
Until you find yourself 
Sleeping on the streets 
You don’t know hardship 
So don’t look away 
Your cup is overflowing 
With blessing 
So stop complaining 
Though we are without furniture 
For learning 
Though we are without work 
Holding onto wasted time 
Wasted money 
Slipping through the cracks
Of our poor decisions 
Your misplaced expectations
My misplaced expectations 
Rescue, remind me 
That my confidence in You 
Is never misplaced 
Your love is here to stay 
So please take away the anger that I feel 
You are with me 
And show me that I’m no different 
Show me 
That you are with us
Let us be your instruments
We were mistaken 
Placing our hope in social institutions 
All these 
False urban promises 
We were selfishly confident 
That it'd be only for our best 
Betrayed by 
Our foolish pride 
We are frustrated to despair 
Our belongings fall in the rain 
And lie in the gravel and dirt 
While petrichor fills our lungs 
We are
Washing our mouths clean 
With hard water 
Our mouths still unclean from the lies 
We speak to each other
And over our lives 
Tell me there’s healing after the pain
This delightful drudgery 
Will leave me 
With nothing to hold
I’m slow of heart to believe
There’s meaning here

(September 2023)

Comments

Popular Posts