Data Points

Will you welcome me home 
Or will you shut the door instead 
Begging me to leave 
Before I say a word
Will I walk your streets 
In the heat of what feels like 37 degrees 
Six hours a day 
10 kilometres on average 
Will you quench my thirst 
With a welcome 
All I have 
Is an academic requirement 
A heart for meaning 
Worn-out shoes 
Questions in my parched throat 
Sun-kissed skin 
Walking through 
And walking past 
Little landfills in every corner 
Little landfills in bodies of water 
Trails of refuse lining my runway 
On either side 
A fire is burning 
And I’m scoffed at for assuring confidentiality 
Tears in my eyes 
Perspiring wasted energy 
Will you quench my thirst
With understanding?

Wise 
They say I need to be wise 
They tell me I’m too drained 
To be either wise or presentable
Can the summer sun break our resolve? 
Even when I know that 
None of you are entitled to give me what I need
But I am pressured to perform 
They ask for 
Output over process
Tell me again 
What I already know 
Maybe I really do need to hear it again 
This knowledge that I won’t use
To change my ways 

Why does it hurt so much 
To hear them say 
Things that I already know 
Things that I’ve already thought through 
Is it because I don’t let it change anything for me? 
Showing up day after day 
With change in my purse 
Burning holes in currencies
Slipping through my fingers
Skipping meals 
Going around 
Speaking of the recommended intake 
The fruit of the garden 
Here in the city
Speaking of that which is good for us 
While not practising what I preach
Because I can’t spend all that money
Because what I’m doing now
Is not worth it 
A failed endeavour from the start 
Not contributing anything significant 
To the scientific community 
Not contributing anything significant
To the new creation reality 

Bring me down to my knees, Teacher
Till I’m crying at my folly
On the pavement 
Let me breathe You in 
Your Spirit 
The wind blowing across my face
Marvel at Your mercy 
In the heat of summer land 
Fill my heart with You
Quench my thirst 
With You 

(March-April, 2023)

Comments

Popular Posts