Tea Time

It was brilliant
As I sat on a wooden bench
Placed far off from the table
You lifted up my face to see how
The sky shone this dignifying calm,
Alighted blue
And the clouds like bouts of shade
As if chalk was artistically sprayed
And a child’s fingers felt for the particles
And wish they'd follow a trail
Like remnants of pure translucent smoke
Glowing with the light of the sun
And His breath of life
Splayed over me
Taking my breath away
As soon as He called on the four winds
To awaken me
And He is milk to my bones
As I sip this tea
He takes me to that day
My Grandma gave me
Fresh cow’s milk
Courtesy of the one in the shed
Mooing because she’s hungry
The day Grandma gave me
Fresh cow’s milk in a glass
The nutrition handed over
From her loving, nursing hands –
Hot, and I receiving it cautiously
Took a sip to taste
Rich fullness
I am brought back to this bench
As I sip from this hot tea
To taste rich fullness
And I smiling
Love how You take me away
You’ll keep me entertained
Oh yes You will
With more tea-times
And miracles
Colours and
Foam-cups overflowing
With your never-ending goodness
And You are milk to my bones
I thank-you for that day
Oh send my love to my grandparents
Won’t you please?
How I miss them and those days
I can still taste
The rich fullness
Not of milk
Or of my mightily fond beverage
But of the moment
Lovingly simple.
(Winter 2013)

Comments

Popular Posts