Lacnor Chocolate Milk

(Dedicated to Sruthi)
I am sure to sip
Slowly this time
And to allow myself
The privilege
To taste every memory –
Your hasty drinking
As if you were a contender in a race
It was your favourite drink
Sure to find in your hand
When you got back from
That canteen of ours
The canteen is not in our reach anymore
Neither are you here
The milk stays safe and fresh
In tetra paks
With the attached straw
In creative plastic wrap
That shows the same teddy bear
Smiling
Being carried away
By a chocolate parachute
With the sun shining
After all this while
But you’re not here
In the years that you’ve gone
I met somebody
And shared a moment
Where I was you
The hasty drinker
Because I was too thirsty
And it tasted wonderful
But was over too soon
So I had to try it again
Sitting here at my table
Just a day later
Revisiting the scene
As I drink it one last time
(For now)
The taste is novel
And so is the memory
Of me silently living
The memory of you
With another friend
A flavoured drink
Fortified -
Rich with longing
And tears
And a forgotten heart.

Comments

Popular Posts