Mirror

Was your love for me ever true?
From where is your grit
To hate me,
To belittle me?
To shower blame on me,
Like a flood of pain
Throwing me unconscious
Into a torrent of fear,
Of disbelief
What made you this way?
What changed your heart for me?
All the moments we lived
All the moments we –
Lived loved
What about them?
Why do you deceive me,
In ways my heart can -
No longer settle -
At any level of comprehension -
With such confidence in your morality 
With your demeanour 
So defiantly undisturbed 

And you’re justified in twisted ways
And unquestioned
The way you treat me
Like shaken dust off your feet
Walking all over my defeated self
As I lie in all this shed blood
Our warfare sought
This blood reddened
By my shame and guilt
And this sickening blame
That arouses bitterness
In you and me
Was your love for me ever present?
What made you treat me 
The way you did?
Misunderstanding hurt us both
Perhaps
In ways that cannot be spoken
Silence was our deadly weapon
And a mad, mad friend
Of all the misunderstanding
That worsened everything
And doused our quiet love
With the dangerous purpose
Of a hateful fire
That burns down our home
Of our always quiet love
A silence out of fear
Started a fire
That worsened everything
I was too scared to look at you
But in that fearful moment
When our eyes did meet
I managed to see
A mirror

Your fear
Your insecurity
Your hidden person
Like a mirror
I saw me in it
Your eyes
Reflect mine
And everyone that you now
Have come to see
I saw a warped image of me
A false one
I don’t know if I am in denial
But my reflection is upset
And in shock –
Hands reach out
And crash it to the ground
See me differently –
Won’t you?
Stop feeding me lies
And the person I am to you
And have grown to be to myself
Will be the same.
Why won’t the tears
From my pain-filled eyes,
That have seen many things dire, 
Why won't they end?

I am clouded by the tears
This choking, dirty air
Stings my eyes
And forces me to rub them away
To see
Broken shards of glass everywhere
I’m screaming
And crying out in my anger
As I reach out for you
As the mirror of your eyes
Of your heart
Lies on tiled ground
Broken
I didn’t mean to hurt you
I wish I kept you safe
From this world that hurts you
Oh how many people did you meet on the way?
And give to them
Like your heart was to take?
I wish I kept you safe
From this world
That breaks you
That leaves you 
Bitter
I didn’t mean to hurt you
I was so scared
So scared
That I kept away
I want to reach out to you
I want to reach out for you
Am I too late?
Tell me it’s not too late
But here we are
On this tiled ground
Sharp polished shards
Everywhere
My hands are bleeding

Comments

Popular Posts