Leprosy

This poem is inspired by what Eric Allen (from Air1 radio) shared about leprosy, something on the lines of how an afflicted person may not feel pain that can warn them of harm to their body thereby making the body more susceptible to injuries.
So I'd like to thank him, because a little play with perspective led to this.

Don’t leave me here -
On this island.
I need you here.
Don’t cast me away,
For I can’t bear this –
This loneliness,
Where the dying day is scared of the dark,
Helpless yet,
In its slow death,
As its light soon fades,
I too am scared.
So please,
Don’t leave me here,
Where I sense no pain,
Where I don’t know,
What to look out for,
Here,
Only here,
Numbness and warning signals,
Are all the same -
Unfelt,
Unheard,
As my limbs die away,
As I unknowingly -
Put myself
In a hearth of danger,
Where I am prone to wander,
Overwhelmed by -
This dishonesty safety,
I’m doomed to feel.
I cry out for help,
For I long to be able,
To sense pain,
That I may feel,
Yes,
I want to feel pain,
In all its humility,
I want to feel the signs,
That I may know,
When to keep away,
When to run,
And find strength in the arms of Love,
As I’m brought to my knees,
I want to feel pain,
To feel it break me,
And weaken me,
That I may find strength,
Buried deep within,
As I lay crippled,
On this infected ground.
Can you see me here?
All alone?
Can you hear my cry?
My sorrow is an undying wail,
In the loudness of silence -
Unfelt,
Unheard,
But heavy,
So heavy,
As I fall apart...
My dreams like -
The granulated soft sand,
Made to slip through,
My unfeeling fingers.

Comments

Popular Posts